When you do business with BoltBus, you trust us with your information. We are committed to keeping that trust. That starts with helping you understand our privacy practices.
This policy describes the information we collect, how it is used and shared, and your choices regarding this information. We recommend that you read this along with our Privacy Overview, which highlights key points about our privacy practices (including what information we collect, when we collect it, and how we use it).
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Data Collection and Uses
This policy applies to users of BoltBus’s services anywhere in the world, including users of BoltBus apps, websites, features or other services.
• Customers: users who request or receive transportation
This policy also applies to those who provide information to BoltBus in connection with an application to use our services, or whose information BoltBus otherwise receives in connection with its services. All those subject to this policy is referred to as “users” for purposes of this policy. The practices described in this policy are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we only engage in the practices described in this policy in a particular country or region if permitted under the laws of those places. Please contact us if you have questions on our practices in your country or region.
BoltBus provides services to users throughout the United States.
We process personal information inside and outside of the United States.
If you live in the United States, the data controller for the information you provide or that is collected by BoltBus, a Greyhound affiliate is:
Greyhound Lines, Inc.
350 N. St. Paul
Dallas, TX 75201
Questions, comments and complaints about Greyhound’s data practices can be submitted to Greyhound’s data protection office at DPO@greyhound.com
We process personal information inside and outside of the United States. Greyhound transfers information of users’ outside the United States on the basis of mechanisms approved under applicable laws.
The Information We Collect
• Information that you provide to BoltBus, such as when you create your Bolt Rewards account or when you purchase a ticket
• Information created when you use our services, such as location, usage and device information.
• Information from other sources, such partners selling BoltBus services.
The following information is collected by or on behalf of BoltBus:
1. Information you provide
This may include:
• User profile: We collect information when you create or update your Bolt Rewards account or purchases product and services from BoltBus. This may include your name, email, phone number, login name and password, address, payment or banking information (including related payment verification information), and/or birth date. This also includes the preferences and settings that you enable for your BoltBus account.
• Demographic data: We may collect demographic information about you, including through user surveys. We may also receive demographic information about you from third parties.
• User content: We may collect information that you submit when you contact BoltBus customer support, provide ratings or compliments for other users, or otherwise contact BoltBus.
2. Information created when you use our services
This may include:
• Location Information:Depending on the BoltBus services that you use, and your app settings or device permissions, we may collect your precise or approximate location information as determined through data such as GPS, IP address and WiFi.
• Transaction Information:We collect transaction details related to your use of our services, including the type of services you requested or provided, your transaction details, date and time the service was provided, amount charged, distance traveled, and payment method. Additionally, if someone uses your loyalty promotion code, we may associate your name with that person.
• Usage information:We collect information about how you interact with our services. This includes information such as access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and third-party sites or service you were using before interacting with our services. In some cases, we collect this information through cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers. To learn more about these technologies, please see our Cookie Statement below.
• Cookies:A cookie is a small text file that is stored on a user’s device, which may be session ID cookies or tracking cookies. Session cookies make it easier for you to navigate the Service and expire when you close your browser. Tracking cookies remain longer and help in understanding how you use the Service and enhance your user experience. Cookies may remain on your hard drive for an extended period of time. If you use your browser’s method of blocking or removing cookies, some but not all types of cookies may be deleted and/or blocked and as a result some features, and functionalities of the Service may not work. A Flash cookie (or locally shared object) is a data file which may be placed on a device via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built-in to or downloaded by you to your device. HTML5 cookies can be programmed through HTML5 local storage. Flash cookies and HTML5 cookies are locally stored on your device other than in the browser and browser settings won’t control them. To identify certain types of local shared objects on your device and adjust your settings, please visit: www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html. The Service may associate some or all of these types of cookies with your devices.
• Device Information:We may collect information about the devices you use to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software, file names and versions, preferred languages, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion information, and mobile network information.
3. Information from other sourcesThese may include:
• User feedback, such as ratings or compliments.
• Users providing your information in connection with referral programs
• Users requesting services for or on your behalf
• Users or others providing information in connection with claims or disputes.
• Partner transportation companies
• Publicly available sources
• Marketing service providers.
BoltBus may combine the information collected from these sources with other information in its possession.
How We Use Your Information
BoltBus collects and uses information to enable reliable and convenient transportation, and other products and services. We also use the information we collect:
• To provide transaction and travel confirmation communications
• To enhance the customer experience including through personalization
• For customer support
• To facilitate our marketing programs including offers, targeted advertisements, promotions or contests
• For research, development and analytical purposes
• To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
• In connection with legal proceedings
BoltBus does not sell or share your personal information to third parties. Information may be shared with third parties who are authorized by BoltBus as a service provider. These third-party service providers are prohibited from using our customers’ information for any other purpose. Additionally, these third-parties are bound by contract to BoltBus to use adequate security measures to protect your information.
BoltBus uses the information it collects for purposes including:
1. Providing services and features
BoltBus uses the information we collect to provide, personalize, maintain and improve our products and services. This includes using the information to:
• Enable transportation and other services. This includes automated processing of your information to enable loyalty program rewards and discounts
• Create and update your loyalty account.
• Verify your identity.
• Process or facilitate payments for those services.
• To track the progress of your ride.
• Enable features that allow you to share information with other people, such as when you submit a compliment about a driver or refer a friend to BoltBus
• Enable features to personalize your BoltBus account and experience such as to enable quick access to previous destinations.
• Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems, to conduct data analysis, testing, and research, and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends.
2. Safety and security
We use your data to help maintain the safety, security and integrity of our services and users. This includes, for example:
Using device, location, profile, usage and other information to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities. This includes processing of such information, in certain countries, to identify practices or patterns that indicate fraud or risk of safety incidents. This may also include information from third parties. In certain cases such incidents may lead to deactivation by means of an automated decision making process. Users in the EU have the right to object to this type of processing; please refer to our policy concerning EU customers https://www.greyhound.com/about/legal/privacy-policy
3. Customer support
BoltBus uses the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls after notice to you and with your consent) to assist you when you contact our customer support services, including to:
• Direct your questions to the appropriate customer support person
• Investigate and address your concerns
• Monitor and improve our customer support responses
4. Research and development
We may use the information we collect for testing, research, analysis and product development. This allows us to develop new features and products, improve and enhance the safety and security of our services.
5. Communications from BoltBus
BoltBus may use the information we collect to communicate with you about products, services, promotions, studies, surveys, news, account information, updates and events.
BoltBus may also use the information to promote and process contests and sweepstakes, fulfill any related awards, and serve you relevant ads and content about our services and those of our business partners. You may receive some of these communications based on your profile as an loyalty member and/or User. Users in the EU have the right to object to this type of processing; see our policy https://www.greyhound.com/about/legal/privacy-policy
Customers may opt-out of any non-transactional emails by selecting “unsubscribe” in any email communication.
6. Partner Usage of information we collect
Our partners may collect information directly from your device, such as your IP address, device ID, and information about your browser or operating system; may combine personal and non-personal information about you with information from other sources; and may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser. This activity enables them to identify you to facilitate the delivery of marketing on our behalf. To opt out of recognition services provided by our partner LiveRamp, please go to https://liveramp.com/opt_out/. To opt out of third-party cookies, please go to http://www.aboutads.info/choices
7. Legal proceedings and requirements
As permitted by applicable law, BoltBus reserves the right, without limitation to collect information necessary to investigate or address claims, or disputes relating to your use of BoltBus services, or as requested by regulators, government entities and official inquiries.
• Authenticating users
• Remembering user preferences and settings
• Determining the popularity of content
• Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
• Cookies: A cookie is a small text file that is stored on a user’s device, which may be session ID cookies or tracking cookies. Session cookies make it easier for you to navigate the Service and expire when you close your browser. Tracking cookies remain longer and help in understanding how you use the Service and enhance your user experience. Cookies may remain on your hard drive for an extended period of time. If you use your browser’s method of blocking or removing cookies, some but not all types of cookies may be deleted and/or blocked and as a result some features, and functionalities of the Service may not work. A Flash cookie (or locally shared object) is a data file which may be placed on a device via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built-in to or downloaded by you to your device. HTML5 cookies can be programmed through HTML5 local storage. Flash cookies and HTML5 cookies are locally stored on your device other than in the browser and browser settings won’t control them. To identify certain types of local shared objects on your device and adjust your settings, please visit: www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html. The Service may associate some or all of these types of cookies with your devices.
Some of BoltBus products, services and features require that we share information with our affiliates, subsidiaries and business partners, for legal reasons or in connection with claims or disputes.
BoltBus may share the information we collect:
1. BoltBus business partners.
For example, if you requested a service through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party, BoltBus may share your information with those third parties. This may include, for example, other apps or websites that integrate with our APIs, or services, or those with an API or service with which we integrate, or business partners with whom BoltBus may partner with to deliver a promotion, a contest or a specialized service.
2. With the general public when you submit content to a public forum
We love hearing from our users — including through public forums such as BoltBus blogs, social media, and certain features on our network. When you communicate with us through those channels, your communications may be viewable by the public.
3. With Greyhound subsidiaries and affiliates
As a Greyhound affiliate, we share information with Greyhound and its subsidiaries and affiliates to help us provide our services or conduct data processing on our behalf. For example, Greyhound processes and stores information in the United States on behalf of its international subsidiaries and affiliates.
4. With BoltBus service providers
BoltBus may provide information to its vendors, consultants, marketing partners, research firms, and other service providers or business partners. This may include, for example:
• Payment processors and facilitators.
• Cloud storage providers.
• Marketing partners and marketing platform providers.
• Data analytics providers.
• Research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with BoltBus or on BoltBus’s behalf.
• Vendors that assist BoltBus to enhance the safety and security of its apps.
• Consultants, lawyers, accountants and other professional service providers.
• Fleet partners.
• Insurance and financing partners.
• Locations and other operating locations.
• Restaurant partners.
• Third party vehicle suppliers.
5. For legal reasons or in the event of a dispute
BoltBus may share your information if we believe it is required by applicable law, regulation, operating agreement, legal process or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns.
This includes sharing your information with law enforcement officials, government authorities, airports (if required by the airport authorities as a condition of operating on airport property), or other third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements, or other policies, to protect BoltBus’ rights or property or the rights, safety or property of others, or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to your use of our services. If you use another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share information with that credit card holder, including trip information.
This also includes sharing your information with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
6. With your consent
BoltBus may share your information other than as described in this policy if we notify you and you consent to the sharing.
Information Retention and Deletion
BoltBus retains a loyalty user profile and other information for as long as you maintain your BoltBus account.
BoltBus also retains certain information, including transaction, location, usage and other information for at least 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance or other requirements and for other legitimate business purposes in the places in which it operates. Once such information is no longer necessary to provide BoltBus services, enable customer support, enable identification and enhancements the user experience or other operational purposes, BoltBus takes steps to prevent access to or use of such information for any purpose other than compliance with these requirements or for purposes of safety, security and fraud prevention and detection. BoltBus thereafter deletes or anonymizes such information in accordance with applicable laws.
Users may request deletion of their accounts at any time. Following such request, BoltBus deletes the information that it is not required to retain and restricts access to or use of any information it is required to retain.
In certain circumstances, Boltbus may be unable to delete your account, such as if there is an outstanding credit on your account or an unresolved claim or dispute. Upon resolution of the issue preventing deletion, BoltBus will delete your account as described above.
BoltBus may also retain certain information if necessary for its legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing users’ safety and security. For example, if BoltBus shuts down a user’s account because of fraud or security incidents, BoltBus may retain certain information about that account to prevent that user from opening a new BoltBus account in the future.
Special Information for EU Users
This section applies to EU residents only. It explains that you have a number of rights in relation to your personal data. However, the additional rights only apply when we process your personal data while you reside within the EU.
There are circumstances in which your rights may not apply, for example if we process your personal data while you are present in the United States, we may not have to comply with the EU regulations and so your rights may not apply. In summary, the additional rights set out in this section will take effect once you return to reside in the EU and we continue to process your personal data.
Purposes for which we will use your personal data:
EU regulations require us to explain the type of information we collect about you and why as well as the legal basis for processing your personal data.
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
Identity Data including first name, last name, username or similar identifier, marital status, title, date of birth and gender.
Contact Data including billing address, home address, email address and telephone numbers.
Financial Data including bank account and payment card details.
Transaction Data including details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
Technical Data including internet protocol (IP) address, login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access our websites.<
Profile Data including your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
Usage Data including information about how you use the websites, products and services.
Health Data including information relating to your mobility and disability status to enable us to provide assisted travel.
Marketing and Communications Data including your preferences in receiving marketing from us and third parties and your communication preferences.
We have set out below a list of all the ways we may use your personal data and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so. We have also identified what our legitimate interests are, where appropriate.
In some cases, we may use more than one legal base for processing your personal data; this will depend on the specific purpose for which we are using your personal data. More information can be found here: https://www.greyhound.com/en/about/legal/privacy-policy.
Choice And Transparency
BoltBus provides means for you to see and control the information that BoltBus collects, including through:
• in-app privacy settings
• device permissions
• in-app ratings pages
• marketing opt-outs
You may also request that BoltBus provide you with explanation, copies or correction of your data.
A. DEVICE PERMISSIONS
Most mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without your consent. And these platforms have different permission systems for obtaining your consent. The iOS platform will alert you the first time the BoltBus app wants permission to access certain types of data and will let you consent (or not consent) to that request. Android devices will notify you of the permissions that the BoltBus app seeks before you first use the app, and your use of the app constitutes your consent.
B. EXPLANATIONS, COPIES AND CORRECTION
You may request that BoltBus:
• Provide a detailed explanation regarding the information BoltBus has collected about you and how it uses that information.
• Receive a copy of the information BoltBus has collected about you.
• Request correction of any inaccurate information that BoltBus has about you. You can make these requests by contacting Greyhound, as BoltBus is a Greyhound affiliate,here: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also edit the name, phone number and email address associated with your loyalty account through My Rewards My Account on BoltBus.com
C. MARKETING OPT-OUTS
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from BoltBus by using the “unsubscribe” link that is in every promotional email. Please note that if you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional messages, such as ticket confirmations, alerts for changes to your trip and loyalty account information.
Updates to This Policy
We may occasionally update this policy.
We reserve the right to change this Policy from time to time consistent with applicable privacy laws and principles. If we make significant changes, we will notify you of the changes through the BoltBus website or through others means, such as email. To the extent permitted under applicable law, by using our services after such notice, you consent to our updates to this policy.
We encourage you to periodically review this policy for the latest information on our privacy practices. We will also make prior versions of our privacy policies available for review.